Rules for Participation in 2019 APMCM
Ya Tai Sai  No. 03
I. Contest Organization
The Host: Beijing Institute of Image Graphics, Organizing Committee of Asia and Pacific Mathematical Contest in Modeling
The Organizer: School of Mathematics
II. Contest Date and Time
Registration Deadline: 12:00 at noon, November 27, 2019
Starting Time of Contest: 6:00a.m., November 28, 2019
Ending Time of Contest: 9:00a.m., December 2, 2019
Deadline for Submission of Thesis: 9:00a.m., December 2, 2019
Deadline for Submission of Letter of Commitment and Attachment: 9:00a.m., December 2, 2019
Contest Result: it is predicted that the result will be published before January 20, 2020
III. Commitments of Team Members
(1) If the images, diagrams, pictures, forms and attached maps in the thesis are not original by the team, they should be indicated in the citation position.
(2) All direct quotations are indicated in the “quotation mark”, or the special citation indication is done.
(3) The Organizing Committee of APMCM is authorized to demonstrate the thesis in any form in public (including online publicity, and formal or informal publishing in the books, periodicals and other media).
IV. Appraisal Principles for Contest
(1) Give a satisfactory interpretation method for the problem, and make necessary explanations and descriptions about the ambiguous concept;
(2) Explicitly list the preconditions and assumptions used in the modeling, and explain or demonstrate the rationality;
(3) Give the modeling thinking or demonstrate the modeling rationality through analyzing the problem;
(4) Design the mathematical model which can effectively solve the problem;
(5) Give a stability inspection for the model;
(6) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the model and reach a clear conclusion;
(7) Give the satisfactory and accurate abstract.
V. Special Process and Planning for Participation in the Contest
(I) Before contest
(1) All teams must fulfill the registration before 12:00, November 27, 2019.
It is suggested that all teams should fulfill the registration in advance, for the application system will be closed and no application is accepted when the deadline expires.
Official website for online application: https://www.saikr.com/apmcm/2019
a. Log onto the applicationofficial website, and click “apply for” on the right side of the screen. Fill in all required information, including e-mail address and contact way of the team. If there are multiple team members participating in the contest, each team member should register. After that, the team leader invites other team members. After the invitation is sent, other team members should agree, the own team member is fulfilled, and the online payment is made.
Attention: after the application deadline expires, the application information cannot be changed any more. The e-mail address should be effective currently so that we can contact you if necessary before, during and after the Contest.
b. If you belong to the school collective application, the principal of school collective application should contact the workers of the Contest.
c. No uniform provisions are laid down for the teams of each university, and the teams of the instructors are not limited either.
(2) Application fees
The application fees of each team are RMB 100. For the individual application, the payment is made through the application official website. For the school collective application, please contact the workers of the Contest and fill in the collective application form and make payment uniformly.
(3)After an individual fulfills the application on the application website, the participation control number may be obtained. For the collective application team, after the payment is made, and the workers conduct the review, the participation control number will be obtained.
2. Team members
(1) Before the payment is made, please choose own team members. The payment may be made by the team leader alone.
(2) Each team may have 3 members at most (the team may be composed of 2 or 3 members).
(3) Each student can only participate in a team.
(4) During the period of the Contest, the team member must be the full-time university students at school
(II) After the Contest begins
1. Download the problem from the official website of the Contest
The contest problem will be published on the website of School of Mathematics, official website of Beijing Institute of Image Graphics (www.bsig.org.cn) and application homepage at 6:00a.m., November 28, 2019 (Thursday).
2. Select the problem
Each team may choose any one problem from two problems: the team may choose Problem A or Problem B.
3. The team is prepared to answer the question.
(1) The team may make use of any non-living data and information-including computer, software, references, website and books. However, the source should be indicated for all cited information. If a team fails to indicate the source of cited content, its participation qualification will be cancelled.
(2) The team members should not seek help from or discuss the problem with the instructor or other people other than the team members. It is prohibited to contact any person other than the team members in any form, including e-mail, telephone contact, private talk, online chatting or any other question-answering system orany other communication ways.
(3) The incomplete thesis is also acceptable. In the Contest, no score demarcation point of “passed” or “not passed” exists, and no scores by figure exist either. APMCM’s judgment is mainly based on the solutions and steps of the teams.
(4) Abstract page: the abstract is an important part of the thesis (the abstract page should be the first page of the thesis). In the appraisal, the abstract occupies a large proportion. Sometimes, the thesis which obtains the prize stands out due to its high-quality abstract.
A good abstract enables the readers to judge whether they have to read through the body of the thesis. Hence, the abstract must clearly describe the methods for solving the problem, and express the most important conclusion in the thesis remarkably. Besides, the abstract should be capable of stimulating the readers’ interest in reading the detailed contents of the thesis. Generally, the abstract where the contest problems are simply repeated and the template document in the introduction is copied and pasted is not competitive.
In addition to the abstract page, each thesis should include the following parts: problem re-statement, model assumption, symbol description, model evaluation, model analysis, bibliography and appendix.
(5) The thesis should be written in English per the standard format, and in the readable font. The word size is 11 or 12 generally.
(6) The whole solution must be composed of main body, necessary diagram, chart or other types of materials and can only be submitted in the form of thesis. The non-document materials, such as computer file or magnetic disk, will be unacceptable.
(7) On the top of each page of the solution, the team control number and page number should be provided. It is suggested that the page header should be used on each page. For example:
Team#12345 Page 10 of 20
(8) No team member list, instructor list or school name is allowed on any page of the solution. The whole problem solution should not include any identity recognition information other than the team control number.
(9) Any team that fails to comply with the abovementioned rules will be disqualified.
(III) Before the Contest ends
1. Submit the thesis
The team (student or instructor) should submit a PDF thesis (excluding attachment and letter of commitment) on the application official website. The thesis must be submitted before 9:00a.m., December 2, 2019. Otherwise, the appraisal qualification is cancelled. The naming format of the thesis is: problem number + participation control number.
For example: A12345
2. Print the letter of commitment and conduct signature
The letter of commitment and contest problem are published altogether. After they are published, the teams should print the letter of commitment. After it is printed, each team member should conduct handwritten signature. After that, through scanning or photographing, the signed letter of commitment is generated into PDF file or jpg picture, naming: problem number + participation control number + cns, for example A12345 cns. After that, it is uploaded to “submit the letter of commitment” column on the application official website, and the format is PDF, JPG.
Attention: the picture may be taken by mobile phone or camera, and the picture should be clear and the word contents should be within the picture.
3. Submit the supporting materials
All other files related to the Contest (including program, data (except original data in the problem) and result) are compressed, packed and uploaded. The “supporting materials” are selectively added by the team members based on prudent consideration. If no explicit requirements exist in the problem of the Contest, it is not regarded as the required materials (if there are own compiled programs, the program should be placed into the appendix of the body according to the thesis format requirements, but the source program should still be provided in the form of supporting materials). Naming format: problem number + participation control number +fj, for example, A12345fj. After that, it is uploaded to “submit the supporting materials” column on the application official website, and the format israr and zip.
4. Keep the thesis attachment
For the purpose of prevention of error and verification in the review, the attachment should be personally kept till the final list of winners is published. The team should keep the pdf and word version of thesis and attachment, including program and computation result.
(IV) After the Contest ends
1. The result of the first draft of the Contest is published.
(1) Appraisal: generally, the appraisal is ended in a month. The result will be published before January 20, 2020. All theses in the Contest will be appraised as Unsuccessful, SuccessfulParticipant, third prize, second prize, first prize or innovation prize.
(2) Once all results are determined, we will publish them on the webpage immediately. Please log onto the application official website in good time to inquire the results.
2. Objection period of the Contest
(1) Within seven (7) days after the first draft of list of winners is published, any individual or unit may raise an objection, which is accepted by the Organizing Committee of the Contest.
(2) The supervision and report on relevant information are welcomed, including teacher’s participation, discussion between the team member and other people during the period of the Contest, plagiarizing the thesis of other people, and unfair appraisal. In principle, the appeal in which the re-appraisal on answer sheet is required to raise the prize winning class is not accepted. Under special circumstances, after the discussion by the Organizing Committee, whether the re-appraisal is done is decided.
(3) For the list of winners of first draft, if the school name, name and other wrong information appear, a timely report should be made to the Organizing Committee of the Contest. In principle, only the wrong words can be corrected, and the instructor name, team member name cannot be changed, and the team member cannot be added either.
3. Bonus or certificate
In this Contest, the class prize and excellent instructor prize, and excellent organization prize will be set. Refer to Table 1 for the proportion and rewards.
Since the problem difficulty is not identical, in the review, the prize will be inclined to the problems of greater difficulty. For each problem, 2 teams may obtain the outstanding prize. The number of teams for the first prize is slightly different.
Table 1 Class of Prize and Proportion
Asia-Pacific Cup Innovation Prize
4 teams (2 teams for each problem)
The first prize
The second prize
The third prize
Beijing Institute of Image Graphics
Organizing Committee of Asia and Pacific Mathematical Contest in Modeling